Tuesday 27 July 2010

Blackberry Cobbler


On her website, Ree had a debate about cobbler recipes. Now, I’m not normally one for cobbler, but when I saw her pics and saw how easy it was, I figured I’d give it a try. This recipe isn’t a true cobbler however, it seems somewhere between a berry buttermilk cake and a cobbler, I think. But it is nonetheless delicious, and pretty simple to toss together. I had been itching to make something with blackberries, so that's what I used, but you can use whatever berries you wish.


Ingredients

  • 1 stick Butter
  • 1-¼ cup Sugar
  • 1 cup Self-Rising Flour (or substitute 1 C all-purpose flour plus 1 ¼ tsp baking powder plus 1/8 tsp salt)
  • 1 cup Milk
  • 2 cups Blackberries (frozen Or Fresh)
  • 1 tbls lemon zest (optional)
  • ¼ C Sugar for sprinkling


Directions

  1. Melt butter in a microwavable dish. 
  2. Pour 1 cup of sugar and flour into a mixing bowl, whisking in milk. Mix well. Then, pour in melted butter and whisk it all well together. 
  3. Butter a baking dish. The directions don't come with size, but by my estimates this is good for anywhere between an 8"-10" dish, round or square. You just need to watch it.
  4. Pour the batter into the buttered baking dish. 
  5. Sprinkle blackberries over the top of the batter; distributing evenly. 
  6. Sprinkle ¼ cup sugar over the top. ¼ C seemed like a lot to me so I skimped out on this and I wish I hadn't, because I think it would have added great texture and taste carmelized on top. Don't be like me -- use the full ¼ C of sugar for sprinkling.
  7. Bake in the oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or until golden and bubbly. 
  8. If you desire, sprinkle an additional teaspoon of sugar over the cobbler 10 minutes before it’s done.


When Ree did this, her cobbler actually looked, well, cobbled. Mine however did not, my berries sank. I did coat them with a little flour first, but I think it was just a function of the fact that I used a deeper dish than Ree did. In point of fact, I used a dish that I had borrowed from my sister-in-law for Superbowl, and I brought the cobbler to her 4th of July party. How’s that for (belatedly) paying it forward?

This dish was quite tasty. I served it with whipped cream, but I think it could have been even better with ice cream. Next time, I am going to try a mixed berry cobbler.

No comments:

Post a Comment